500gms Split Lentil (Arhar Dal)
1/4 cup Hung yoghurt
2 tsp Ginger Juice
4 Cloves (Laung)
5-6 Green Cardamoms (Chhoti Elaichi)
1 stick Cinnamon (Dalchini)
4 tbs Ghee
2 Onions, sliced
1 tbs Lemon juice
1/4 tsp Saffron (kesar), dissolved in milk
1. Mix hung yoghurt and ginger juice. Set aside for 15 mins.
2. Grind the cloves, green cardamom and cinnamon to a fine powder. Sieve and keep aside
3. Boil the lentil with salt until almost cooked. Drain
4. Heat ghee in a pan; fry onions till golden brown
5. Remove 1/3rd onions to use later.
6. Add the powdered spices (cloves, green cardamom and cinnamon) and fry for 1 minute
6. Add lentil, yoghurt and ginger juice mixture, 1 cup of water. Cook on low heat
7. When lentil is soft and cooked, add lemon juice, saffron and the reserved onions. Cover
8. Cook on extremely slow heat for approximately 15-20 mins.
Tip : Try the same with red lentil (masoor dal).
Serve hot with pulao or phoolka or any bread. The dish is unique, simple and quite a royal treat!