1 Medium Cabbage, chopped
3 tsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tsp Urad Dal
8-10 Curry Leaves
2 tsp Turmeric powder (Haldi)
Salt, to taste
1/2 Grated coconut
- Heat the oil. Add the urad dal to this.
- When urad dal turns brownish add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to sputter add curry leaves and turmeric powder. Fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add the cabbage. Mix well.
- Add salt and approx 1/2 cup water. Cook without covering until cabbage is fully cooked.
- Add grated coconut. Fry for 1 minute. Serve hot.
So simple. That is what I love about this dish. Quick, attractive, delicious, light and great with hot phoolkas. You can sprinkle lemon juice on this before serving.
Since my mother is unable to tolerate spicy food my recipe does not include red chilli powder and coriander powder. You can add these along with turmeric powder. I still prefer the masale-free version.