1 cup Broken Wheat (Daliya)
3 tsp Oil
2 Medium Onions, chopped
2 Medium Carrots, chopped
2 Medium Potatoes, chopped
2 Green Chillies, chopped
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
10-12 Curry leaves
2 tsp Chana Dal
2 tsp Urad Dal
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (Haldi powder)
1/2 cup Yoghurt, beaten
3 cups Water
Salt, to taste
- Soak and wash the broken wheat thoroughly. Boil around 5 cups of water. Blanche the broken wheat in the boiling water for approximately 5 mins. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Fry the chana dal and urad dal until light brown.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When they begin to sputter add chopped onions. Cook until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the chopped green hillies, potatoes and carrots. Fry for around 1-2 mins.
- Add turmeric powder. Fry for another 2-3 mins.
- Add salt. Stir.
- Add 3 cups of water. Mix.
- Reduce heat. Add the yoghurt and mix well. Add more water if required.
- Cover the pressure cooker with a lid. Cook under pressure for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape. Open lid. Adjust the salt. Cook for approx 2 minutes or until excess water dries up.
- Garnish with fresh, chopped coriander, nuts. Squeeze half a lemon. Serve hot!
My variation of a great, hearty breakfast. Healthy, tasty and wholesome. You can add green peas if desired. Adding a spoonful of fresh ghee is also yummy!